Thursday 5 September 2013

Embracing The Vintage Style

Now, I know that the 'vintage style' isn't for everyone, all I know is that it is one of the best decisions that I have ever made! I am by no means an expert on it, but I know I would have found a post like this very handy whilst I was making my style transition. I am basically going to ramble about my opinions and discuss what I know about dressing in the 1940s/1950s style.
And for any girls that are thinking about a vintage style change, there will be a list of things, such as clothes and make up, that I think are essential for achieving the perfect vintage look! :-)

In my opinion- dressing in the 1940s-1950s fashion can go down two routes - modern or classic. The Modern Vintage style leans towards the 1950s which is more Pin Up and involves a lot of kitsch fabrics, reproduction garments and bright colours. However, the Classic Vintage reminds me of the 1940's a lot more and is very much about dressing how the ladies of that era would have dressed.
I would say that my style is a combination of the two. Sometimes I like to keep it very ladylike & mature, but other times I like to wear big printed dresses and bright chiffon head scarves.

Items that I think are a good starting place in achieving the vintage look-
A good red lipstick (Will be doing a post on my all time favourite red lippie, lets just say I can never wear a different red!)
Vintage nylon head scarves. My hair saviour! And always ensure that it matches your outfit!
A well fitting waist belt - To give you a smashing hourglass figure
Some mid-length circle skirts because they are basically the staple of a vintage wardrobe.
Capris
Various coloured cardigans - For bonus points, get some (faux) fur collars/stoles for colder months
LOTS of hair slides
Hair flowers - My favorite are lillies.
A good set of eye brows. They frame the face.
Stockings (preferably with a seam line down the back)
Liquid black eyeliner - I don't wear it that much on my eyes but it is good for drawing on my faux beauty mark

Patterns and prints that I think reflect the vintage style-
(Modern AND Classic)
RED
Leopard print
Florals
Gingham
Plaid
Lace
Hawaiin
Polka dots
Cherries and other fruity prints
Mohair
Fur
Nautical
Military

You can really take this style down any road you want. I've found a lot of girls dress to themes, which is what I like to do as well. For example, one day you could dress in a 'Land girl' military kind of vibe and the next day dress like a bombshell by wearing a gorgeous super tight wiggle dress. Essentially, this style is dressing up so have fun with it and be confident!
Because if you dress like a lady, it doesn't mean you have to behave like one! (Haha! ;))

I don't know if this post made sense or helped anyone but I have been wanting to do this for ages as I would have really enjoyed this when I was starting out my new lifestyle.

Thanks for reading!
Stay confident <3

With love,
Amber Rose x

No comments:

Post a Comment